The Worlds End The Olde Coach House Facebook UKbride - Social Networking For Brides

History

The Olde Coach House is home to 11 boutique rooms and 4 standard rooms with relaxing bar areas and a contemporary restaurant.
Set in the village of Ashby St.Ledger,the village lies on the A361 just off junction 18 of the M1 to the North of Daventry.The estate was mentioned as "Ascebi"(settlement with ash trees) in the Domesday Book of 1086.

It was given by the Conqueror to Hugh de Grentemaisnil, a nobleman who came to England with him. In 1375 the estate came by marriage to the Catesby family. They owned it until 1611. In 1485 William Catesby fought for Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth Field. Richard was defeated and William was beheaded. The estate was confiscated, but later returned to Williams son, George.

In Elizabeth I time another William was gaoled for hiding Catholic priests. His son Robert was the leader of the Gunpowder plot of 1605, when Guy Fawkes tried to blow up King James and his Parliament. Robert died in a pistol fight after the plot was discovered. The estate later came to l`Ansons and then to the Ashleys and Senhouses.

In 1903 Viscount Wimborne bought the Manor. He employed Sir Edwin Lutyens to do work on the house and in the village. The Ashby St Ledgers estate made its money by selling produce from its farms. The home farm however, as on all large estates produced food only for the Manor House. The original village pub was demolished to make room for the Lutyens cottages. For a while there was a "club" for estate workers, then a former farmhouse became the Olde Coach House.

Inside there is a collection of tools and utensils from a bygone age as well as open log fireplaces that are always lit in the winter. Experience comfortable and modern rooms alongside good food, good beer and wine and friendly service. Please book a table for the restaurant in advance, to avoid disappointment.

Book A room

Book Online Now!

become a friend